March 13, 2009

10 Kids Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid At Daycare:

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Hospital officials say 10 children drank windshield wiper fluid after staffers at an Arkansas daycare center mistook the liquid for Kool-Aid.

A pediatrician at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock says the children, ages 2 to 6, are OK, but continue to be monitored. The doctor said each child drank about an ounce late Thursday afternoon.

The hospital did not identify the Scott community daycare. State child welfare officials did not immediately return a call for comment Friday.

The fluid contained toxic alcohols. A pediatric toxicologist says those chemicals can cause kidney damage and blindness.

"It tastes like... burning..."

No comments: